The Scientific Library of JSC KBTU is one of the most modern university libraries in Kazakhstan. It is a member of the Information Consortium of Libraries of Kazakhstan, and the Association of High School Libraries in RK.
The Scientific library of KBTU was established in 2002 as a division of the Kazakh - British Technical University. The Library is located on the ground floor of the KBTU building, which is a monument to the history and architecture of Almaty.
The main sponsors of the Scientific Library are the British Council and British Petroleum.
Since its establishment, the Scientific Library of KBTU has actively participated in the development of the organizational, cultural, and intellectual environments in the University. The Library’s primary mandate is to deliver information services to users, introduce automation and new technologies, and provide access to electronic resources.
The Scientific Library of KBTU offers information in three languages – Russian, Kazakh, and English.
The Library holdings include an extensive collection of domestic and foreign literature on the natural (exact) sciences. The holdings include editions on theoretical problems of engineering science, petroleum and gas, chemistry and chemical technology, and computer science and programming.
Annual subscriptions to periodicals total over 204 titles of newspapers and magazines.
The Library also features a special place for periodicals on oil and gas, made possible by the companies Poligon International and Halliburton; the holdings include a subscription to the magazine "Petroleum,"
Users of the Scientific Library are undergraduate and graduate students (master’s degree and doctoral candidates), and teachers and employees of the University.
The Library consists of a Reading room, a Hall of Periodicals, Subscriptions Section, and a Section for Acquisitions and Scientific Processing of literature. In addition, there are two (2) computer halls - the Center of Electronic Resources and a reading room called the House of Students.
The Library uses the automated informational library system МАRК –SQL (АILS МАRК-SQL), which operates the Electronic Catalogue.
The Scientific Library is open and accessible to all who are part of the KBTU Intranet.
Among the services available are:
- Ten (10) full-text databases of the company EBSCO within the limits of the
Informational Consortium of Libraries of Kazakhstan
- Publishing house of Elsevier database on the platform of Science Direct
- Electronic library on oil and gas of the Ufa State Petroleum Technological University
- Legal database of RК called "Lawyer"
- Electronic textbooks on oil and gas on CD-ROM
- Full-text training courses and materials
- Reference information РУБРИКОН.
The Library’s bibliographic works are presented in the form of ongoing book exhibitions.
To optimize user satisfaction, ongoing improvements to the library structure are made, particularly with respect to the design and function of reading rooms and subscription strategies.
The library constantly searches for innovative ways to provide value-added services; this is guided by its capacity to generate funds to support the need to continuously expand electronic resources in order to sustain the University’s ability to deliver to its vision of “creating a new generation of technical and business elite.”
Library Facts 2011
1. Library staff: 15 persons
2. Year established: 2002
3. Total square footage: 900.2 sq. m
4. Total capacity: 345 seats
5. Total number of users: 2465
6. Average number of daily visitors : 2050
7. Category of users: Students (undergraduate, master’s degree, doctoral candidates); teachers, and employees of the University
8. Service restrictions: Non-KBTU students or personnel are not permitted access to/use of the Library without official permission from the Rector
9. Library holdings: Available on paper and electronic carriers, total of 307616 books and periodicals
10. Periodical Subscription: 204 titles available in Russian, Kazakh, and English.
11. Audio, video documents: Electronic books, video films, diskettes, CD-ROMs
12. Catalogue system: Electronic catalogue system in use since 2002; Data input is carried out using the program MARC – SQL.
Center of Electronic Resources - Secure Computer Systems:
* Computers – 108 шт
* Scanners, industrial – 16
* Scanners, manual – 14
* Printers – 9
* Music center – 2
* Server – 1
* Xerox Photocopiers – 2
* Software: Automated informational library system MARC – SQL (Russian)
* Financing: University budget and Sponsor support